Wives of imprisoned al-Shabaab suspects face shattered futures

By Adnan Hussein in Mogadishu

December 18, 2012

• 91 comments
  • Reset Decrease Increase

Every day nearly 60 women gather in front of the Somali National Security Agency (NSA) detention centre in Mogadishu to see what has become of their loved ones who are accused of terrorism, subversion or affiliation with al-Shabaab.

All women can do outside the National Security Agency detention centre is await the trial of their loved ones. Above, two Somali women in Puntland. [Roberto Schmidt/AFP]

For most of these women, they can only lament, as the crimes their husbands and sons committed on behalf of al-Shabaab have ruined their families' lives.

"I bear witness that al-Shabaab brainwashes youths and other valuable members of society they use [to carry out] their hostilities and explosions," said Leilo Adan Agane, 25, wife of Yonis Said, who has been in prison since October 11th and is still awaiting trial.

She said her husband was arrested in Mogadishu's Hodan district in an early morning operation. "He had three hand grenades and a pistol in his possession. He was accused of planning a terrorist attack," she told Sabahi.

"Therefore, I admit that al-Shabaab destroyed my family when they armed my husband by exploiting his lack of employment," Agane said. "I am stating emphatically that I regret this, and I am asking Somali parents to protect their children from being recruited by al-Shabaab, which destroys the hopes of Somali families."

For 29-year-old Hibaq Abdirahman, an eight-month pregnant mother of three, her husband's crimes have left her desperate.

"I ask that [my husband] be released because he financially supported our family and I cannot support my children and mother, and my brother is mentally ill and I cannot [afford] to send him to a hospital," she told Sabahi.

Abdirahman said her husband worked at a small shop in Bakara market in Mogadishu. Security forces detained him along with dozens of other militants late at night in the Hodan district, she said.

"I do not know what has become of him, but I miss him," she said.

Faiza Ibrahim, 27, said her husband was arrested on November 7th after he threw a bomb at a Somali police patrol in the Heliwa district in north-eastern Mogadishu, a former al-Shabaab stronghold.

She visits the prison every day to bring her husband food, but she has not been able to see or speak to him. All Ibrahim can do is let her imagination run.

"I have heard from former prisoners that hundreds of inmates are chained in a big underground cell without any windows, lighting, bedding or blankets to sleep on," she told Sabahi. "They are given food through an opening in an iron door […] and can only see sunlight at 10 o'clock in the morning."

Shukri Yusuf Omar, a 49-year-old resident of the Yaqshid neighbourhood of Mogadishu, said her son and his wife have been detained by the intelligence services for the past four weeks. They face charges of sheltering terrorists in their home as well as concealing weapons and explosives in a hole hidden in one of their bedrooms, she said.

Omar said she has requested that the authorities release her son and daughter-in-law or put them on trial without delay.

"I can guarantee that neither of them will go back to what they were doing because prison is not a walk in the park," she told Sabahi.

The NSA detention centre

The NSA detention centre, previously known as the Investigation Centre of the October 21st Socialist Party, is situated on a hill next to the presidential palace in central Mogadishu.

The building comprises two floors, one of which is for female inmates and offices for investigation officers, while the other is a large hall for male inmates, said Isse Ali, who works in the NSA's data and image analysis department.

Ali said investigators do not use torture tactics against prisoners, but they do isolate them from family and friends while the undergo interrogations.

"At the beginning of detention, detainees are banned from seeing their families for a certain period of time and are cut off from the outside world," Ali told Sabahi.

Investigators collect additional information by using undercover officers who pretend to be prisoners, he said.

After the investigation is completed, prisoners are sent to the central prison close to Benadir Court to await trial, he said.

(Comment Policy) *Denotes Required Field

Reader's Comments

• Joal
    July 10, 2013 @ 10:09:56AM

You live by the sword, u die by the sword! All al-shabaabs should be destroyedby hanging or shootingoe beheading. Let them die!! It is their joy.

• Raymond Claud
    July 4, 2013 @ 03:36:06AM

Our beloved Somalis, this is not a time to fight and cause chaos in the world but a time for you to get close to Allah as this World is coming to its end.

• Al ahmad mustaphal
    June 20, 2013 @ 11:11:31AM

Thanks for good work

• lindanilo
    June 15, 2013 @ 10:13:30AM

Their charges should be read to them so that they know their status.

• Nuur xaaji axmed
    June 15, 2013 @ 06:00:23AM

I am Nur Haji Ahmed and I live in Sudan. First, I would like to thank the person who wrote this article to the people. Secondly, I think the members of Al-Shabaab, their wives and parents should not be sympathized with because they are in approval of what Al-Shabaab is doing. Why didn't they report when they saw them indulge in issues causing insecurity? Why didn't they give information to the security agents? Truth has to be told. A mother whose child works with the enemy doesn't report him or her as terrorist but cries when her son gets arrested. In my opinion they should not be shown their children because the country has generally been destructed by a mother whose son is a member of Al-Shabaab and who cries when her son is arrested but allows him to continue with his dangerous work when freed if we want to have our country stable. The country will not be peaceful and we should not bother ourselves so long such issues exist. I would like to urge the security agents such as the national police force to arrest anyone who may be suspected to be an enemy and they should not release him/her until proven beyond doubts whether one is guilty of crime or innocent. If this is done, then the security issues in our country will be stable. If an enemy is released he/she will continue with his/her work and there will be no peace in the country, so let's all work for peace , Thank you. Peace for Somalia. Let's support one another brothers. Let's unite brothers. Thank you.

• Mahamad abdi mcommo
    June 12, 2013 @ 02:12:17AM

I salute all those citizens who love the nation of Somalia. Al-Shabaab is getting into the trench in which it could die. The government should embarked on ways to deliver just administration and try hard to keep hygiene. My name is general Mamad.

• عطية الله الصومالي
    June 11, 2013 @ 07:54:04AM

What is done by the movement is a duty and it will not stop. The women must be patient and the real patience is one that follows the first shock.

• Mamad mcommo
    June 11, 2013 @ 02:01:21AM

This article is very important to the people of Somalia and I thank the government a lot for bringing those who cause problems to the country to book. I am general Mamad in Manchester town, London.

• shabani alyi / DSM tz
    June 9, 2013 @ 09:27:38AM

Peace be upon you. Surely, God can't assign his prophets and their companions to do something that does not exist. Aren't unbelievers there? If they are there, they deserve to be killed and I am supporting al-Shabaab for the work they do. If God wishes, they will finish the whole of Somalia, because He has promised that if you are on the right path, you will never be defeated. Dear colleagues, the unbelievers don't like us.

• ras j
    June 7, 2013 @ 11:41:25AM

They want their rights.

• J.WAMBUA
    June 5, 2013 @ 10:12:38AM

They should be tried so justice is done because those who suffered and killed were also human beings.

• rashidi shabani
    May 29, 2013 @ 12:03:34PM

SOMALIA, WE SHOULD STOP FIGHTING.

• IDD PATHAN
    May 24, 2013 @ 04:07:47PM

Oh Somalis, have fear of God. He doesn't like terror acts which you do to each other. Remember that you are brothers. I love you all and wish all of you Somalis peace and love .

• Sadallah0
    May 23, 2013 @ 04:05:04AM

Al-Shabaab are doing a great job of fighting for justice. We shouldn't speak badly about them. May Allah protect them and their wives should be patient. They will succeed if Allah wishes.

• Mimi
    May 20, 2013 @ 08:39:53AM

This is a disgusting, extremist movement in terms of their ideologies and actions. They have exploited religion for ill purposes and they have deemed shedding the blood of Muslims and seizing their property as a lawful matter. They have even branded them pagans and described them as non-Muslims, so I can only say may God destroy them, make their plots backfire at them and rescue all Muslims from them.

• khadar Abdikarim
    May 15, 2013 @ 04:35:13AM

Peace be upon you all, after greetings I think that Al Shabaab is a result of disorderliness and negligence of the Somali leaders. This is because, Al Shabaab came out of nowhere from the vacuum left by these leaders. Therefore, whatever is happening today in Somalia is something that we have brought on ourselves. Al Shabaab are men who are clerics but have misunderstood the religion and still believe they are on the right path. Looking at Somalia, the people and even the government is made up of leaders who have left the right religion and are outside the realm of religion. May Almighty God protect the people of Somalia from them and have mercy and guide them.

• Muslim by birth and actions
    May 14, 2013 @ 01:38:38AM

I praise al-Shabaab for their efforts to oppose injustice and infidelity in Muslim country which they want infidelity to spread. May Allah grant them victory. And you Sabahi are fighting Islam because you are American puppets. Go to hell!

• BAHIR
    May 13, 2013 @ 01:57:28PM

The Islamic law does not permit it, therefore he will be responsible of what happens.

• naitwa sayi natoka mwanza tanzania.
    May 11, 2013 @ 04:41:47PM

Very nice. They should be sentenced so it is a lesson to others. It's me Sayi from Mwanza, Tanzania.

• mahmoud ally suleiman
    May 10, 2013 @ 04:26:57PM

In my opinion, NSA police officers should consider proper sentences for those inmates in that center depending on their mistakes, as they are not supposed to judge a book by its cover!!!!!

• saalax cali
    May 7, 2013 @ 02:31:56AM

Peace on you. In my opinion Al-Shabaab has knowledge and may God protect them from the people.

• Ally Abdul
    April 28, 2013 @ 06:10:32PM

There must come a time when we ask ourselves why al-Shabaab are fighting against their government. I think it is an oppressive system that has caused all these problems. Also al-Shabaab lack proper knowledge that would help them demand what they need in a proper manner without violating human rights such as killing children, the aged, and innocent women. God bless Africa so it gets rid of the problems caused by European countries... I feel sorry for women but I'm not depressed because the law is a double-edged razor.

• Godfrey.
    April 19, 2013 @ 02:40:10AM

May God forgive them. They don't know what they do.

• camir xasan
    April 18, 2013 @ 02:55:12AM

I urge all government employees to kill anyone belonging to Al Shabaab without having any mercy on them. This is a request because if we grant them forgiveness, they will cause more trouble in the future

• said kfg
    April 18, 2013 @ 12:11:06AM

You cannot defeat this religion even if you hate it. God willing, hypocrite government will not survive in Somalia.

• caaqil
    April 15, 2013 @ 12:21:44AM

I think that the Somalia government cannot do anything that will be beneficial or please all the citizens. What Al Shabaab did, only God can hold them accountable and they know that.

• cabdi risaaq xuseen
    April 14, 2013 @ 02:48:08PM

Al Shabaab is the dark spot on the name of Somalia and I pray to God to see us out of their curse. Amen Amen.

• [email protected]
    April 11, 2013 @ 11:36:15PM

THIS WORLD WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE IF WOMEN PLAYED THEUR ROLE. WHEN THIR HUSBANDS MAIMED, KILLED, LOOTED, KIDNAPPED, TERRORISED OTHER WOMENS HUSBANDS AND SONS IT WAS BUSINESS AS USUAL AND SWEET. THEY ARE ACCOMPLISHES IN CRIME AND SHOULD BE IN AS WELL.

• Faiz Mussa
    April 10, 2013 @ 07:21:02AM

do whatever you want, i am not with any side I believe Allah and Qur'an are my judgement

• suldan oday ciise dhagaqol
    April 8, 2013 @ 11:54:11AM

I am saying Al-Shabaab will never become extinct from Somalia.

• Edison Khamis
    April 8, 2013 @ 05:35:48AM

These men put their families in trouble for money and greed. Think of a mother with several children who is passing in and out of a court every now and then to follow up the court's decision. We, men, should not be that greedy and torture our families.

• muxiyadiin maxamuud
    April 8, 2013 @ 02:49:08AM

What Al Shabaab is doing is wrong, may God punish them

• muxiyadiin
    April 8, 2013 @ 02:43:05AM

Honestly the Somali mothers are facing a lot of challenges, the best thing is for them to be patient even with all the challenges

• c/qani
    March 24, 2013 @ 08:44:09AM

It is surely a saddening issue but the mistake was committed by those selfish men who work for the interest of Al-Qaeda in Somalia while knowing that they are doing wrong. We are therefore feel sorry for the Somali mothers whose husbands have committed wrongs. I would like to tell these mothers to persevere as their husbands will be punished for the wrongs they did to the people of Somalia.

• sacad muxumed
    March 23, 2013 @ 12:43:31PM

I believe what this group calling itself Al-Shabaab believes in is not known because they kill the most dignified among the Somali clerics. They actually do whatever they may want to the extent of taking women without their consent. Secondly, they term the women they abduct from other regions of Somalia as immigrants in the way of God. I would like to tell the people of Somalia to fight those men until they eliminate them from whole of Somalia. Peace on you.

• C.laahi xaashi shekeye
    March 23, 2013 @ 10:11:14AM

You are people who hate Islam. You insult the holy war fighters and you tarnish their name. Aren't you Muslims????

• hanad xaashi
    March 21, 2013 @ 02:42:25AM

It is truly you, so stop attacking us my friend. We are in Berbera.

• cabaas sh n
    March 17, 2013 @ 11:22:23AM

I am requesting from the government of Somalia to help mothers as much as they can.

• AISHA MUSA
    March 15, 2013 @ 02:26:02PM

I LIKE SOMALIA SO MUCH. I AM A TANZANIAN WHO LIKES PEACE. THERE ARE SOME TANZANIANS WHO DO LIKE PEACE. WHEN THEY COME TO YOU TO LEARN WAR, TEACH THEM THE DISADVANTAGES OF WAR, PARTICULARLY MY MUSLIM COUNTRY-MEN WHO THINK THAT TAKING ONE'S LIFE WILL OPEN A DOOR TO THE PARADISE.

• mussa daudi
    March 10, 2013 @ 01:29:43AM

This article is good, but I don't find it wise for the accused to be released without proper investigations, because most of them took that decision being fully aware. It is mandatory that they are properly investigated so as to ensure their nation's security as well as their neighbors. I love Somalia. God bless Somalia.

• wadengalbino
    March 7, 2013 @ 02:38:53AM

The article is not bad but we fear that the Somalis in Sothern Sudan might have hidden agenda.

• amina amani
    March 5, 2013 @ 01:04:11AM

It is my opinion that the government should intervene into this question, because many citizens especially women, children and the aged are being victims. I advice the government to get itself involved since it is the only organ which makes the country safe.

• Khoje
    February 28, 2013 @ 12:35:43AM

Peace upon you all, I am amazed by a stupid man, ending rainfall and walking ideas, I hope you undertand the meaning of that. Al Shabaab are just a test to all of us and it is similar to what happened in the early history of Islam where our caliph Ali bin Abi Twalib who was killed by a splinter Muslim group known as Khwariij, who had a misguided ideology.

• zosh
    February 26, 2013 @ 03:30:25AM

All this nuts should be slaughtered like goats for innocent deaths they caused.to hell.fakin

• najiib
    February 25, 2013 @ 02:35:24PM

Al-Shabaab are bad and ignorant people because they kill their fellow Somali brothers. I would like to urge them to stop killing people and join the government.

• muslimah
    February 17, 2013 @ 02:35:23AM

Peace on all of you. You will go nowhere as long as you are still ignorant. The holy war fighters have the support of God and they will have no problem if jailed but they will only see it as part of the trial in life. When you will rebel against these Spies who were given names like president and prime minister? Al-Shabaab will continue to exist and they will never cease. They will never cease because of what said by the media. They are our people, our sons and they will go nowhere. Victory belongs to them, so fear for your soul.

• pat
    February 16, 2013 @ 09:04:57AM

Al-Shabaab do not deserve to be in the community

• terry junior
    February 15, 2013 @ 07:30:09AM

Honestly it is shocking families are getting hurt brothers relatives are suffering especially women and children it is disheartening

• khadr
    February 14, 2013 @ 07:12:45AM

I am talking about the way Muslims were destroyed. They were divided into groups without their knowledge. Oh. Muslims, wake up from sleep and react.

• ali yare
    February 14, 2013 @ 04:47:57AM

We should be cautious of these women because they were spoiled by their husbands. Not only men are terrorists but some women are also terrorists.

• cabdirisaaq
    February 12, 2013 @ 09:50:09AM

Truly, that is why the Somali women have problems today and it is really saddening. We appreciate the work done by the Somali women who were in problems and conflicts for more than 20 years for Somali community. I am sorry to tell you to persevere and stop your husbands from this ideology if you can or talk to them the much you can.

• cabdisalaam mohmed ahmed
    February 12, 2013 @ 09:38:28AM

First, I would like to pass my regards to the workers and the administrators of this website wherever they live. I congratulate you a lot and I say may God reward you, my brothers. Secondly, I really liked your comments and programs. Continue with the same spirit or even more. Thank you.

• Rmadhani abbas abdy
    February 12, 2013 @ 09:33:31AM

First of all I would like to pass my sympathies to these women whose husbands are in jail having been accused of being Al-Shabaab members; basically I do not see any help in the presence of the African Union troops in Somalia because there is suffering with each passing day

• guuthey
    February 12, 2013 @ 07:19:16AM

wow, I swear this is wonderful. Is the way those people who used to force other people and created many jails in the world have ended up? There are many innocent people in cells today. The crimes they committed should be proven because very few of those people living in Somalia have committed no crimes. The rest were in the forces. In my opinion, I feel all those who committed crimes should be given amnesty after the government takes over the whole country.

• naadiya
    February 12, 2013 @ 04:16:42AM

Those found guilty of serious crimes should be sentenced to life in prison and those found guilty of petty crimes handed short sentences. This delivery of justice should not put all the youth who are the future of Somalia in prison because they were misled by Al-Shabaab but I believe they can be rehabilitated.

• abdala
    February 11, 2013 @ 12:57:49PM

I do see this as violation of the rights of Somali mothers and it is unfortunate.

• jimcale cabdi
    February 10, 2013 @ 02:23:55PM

Those people exploiting poor people should be thrown into a dark ditch and should not be released as my suggestion.

• salaaxudiin
    February 10, 2013 @ 02:46:54AM

I would like to tell those women whose husbands were suspected to be members of Al-Qaeda, Al-Shabaab or terrorists to practice patients and not to see this as problem because people better than them were harassed before for such issues and the likes. It is a fortune for your husband to be blamed for being a true Muslim who has refrained from anything bad because those calling themselves a government will not arrest someone until they prove he is religious. They will put him in the hands of the disbelievers only after they prove him. Pray for them to God and do not beg the disbelievers and their sycophants. By your dear brother.

• bishar
    February 9, 2013 @ 10:25:24AM

In the name of God, I am happy about it.

• bishar
    February 9, 2013 @ 10:20:36AM

09-02-2013 It is good to get peace and order for good functioning of the government; that is when peace that the government can be proud of said to exist and the government can curb these people claiming to be religious group. They are Satan who disobey God. God says, anyone who kills a Muslim for no reason will have hell-fire as his reward where he will dwell and he will face the wrath of God. That is it. Bye.

• idiris husein a/lahi hufane
    February 8, 2013 @ 09:32:29AM

First, I would like to pass my regards to the people of Somalia. secondly, I would like to pass my regards to those people living in where I live; Somaliland which has in the recent past been giving information that degrades our country and which will ruin the lives of many youth if something is not urgently done about it. Those who lead the country today have been in power for quite long, so let them not lower their dignity today with their own hands. Let the youth inherit good future from you by giving them good leadership or else you will kill yourself with your own hands.

• kamaal yare
    February 4, 2013 @ 09:22:31AM

I am sorry about that issue.

• CABDIRISAAQ CALI GAYRE
    February 1, 2013 @ 02:19:09AM

I AM NOT FOR THE OPINION THAT YOU SHOULD DISTURB PEOPLE BECAUSE THIS WORLD IS JUST BUT FEW DAYS.

• Baashi deeq
    January 29, 2013 @ 04:02:52PM

I am happy about this work. The defectors group refused to go with the people and they now deserve to be put in a cave, sprinkled with petrol and lit. They are sure stinking and I hate them. These dogs only open their eyes to claim they are not criminals after they are caught. And then women carrying big sacks come to the areas where these defectors are held. Women do the biggest tasks these days and they are the ones transporting bombs and pistols. These stinking women who carry big sacks on their bags should be caught and burnt. They are the ones who used to drug dead human bodies on the streets, so they should be burnt to correct mistakes they committed against many women and children who they have killed their husbands and fathers. May God's curse be on those who support them by writing false information. We don't know whether they are muslims or disbelievers. My name is Baashi Deeq.

• نصر الصومال قريب
    January 27, 2013 @ 08:33:06AM

May God curse Al Shabab movement May God curse everyone who supports, encourages, sympathizes and collaborates with them May God curse whoever doesn’t curse Al Shabab movement

• maxamad
    January 27, 2013 @ 01:50:30AM

In the name of God, the most gracious and the most merciful. My name is Mohamed Abdullahi Nuh. I am not a man who fear a government ruled by Ethiopia and I would like to attack those of you who say the website has been deleted or Al-Shabaab has been defeated. We have not been defeated and we are will converge soon. We will fight until the Islamic sheria will be used in Somalia and the sycophant of the western countries should know about this. This so called president is looking for fame but he will not get it. You should never dream of defeat to the holy war fighters and those of you who write rubbish about the holy war fighters will be punished soon. Spare the holy war fighters of ill talk before we come to you.

• boostaale
    January 25, 2013 @ 01:23:16AM

The Satan; Al-Shabaab was befallen by the same misfortune that befall the Islamic Court Union. May God protect us from them.

• Abul Hussein
    January 24, 2013 @ 02:36:04AM

Al-Shabaab are in the right and there is no day when invalid ideas will triumph over what is right. I believe that young people know what they are doing and they will never regret anything that they face on earth and in the afterlife. The ones who will regret are those who are fighting for invalid ideas who are invading the territory of Muslims for the benefit of their Western masters and because of their hunger and hatred towards Muslims. Being killed, being imprisoned because of religion is victory for us even prophets were killed and others imprisoned for example prophet Yusuph (as).

• maikmwao
    January 23, 2013 @ 09:09:10AM

in my opinion even prisoners should be allowed to vote as it was recommended because they are also Kenyans and they have rights as human beings....... thank you for these brief words

• nin alle
    January 22, 2013 @ 01:19:33AM

I would like to tell this Satanic website called Sabahi that looks for you in other websites without you searching for it that Al-Shabaab will defeat the disbelievers and their sympathizers and will be wiped out of the world. God has promised us so.

• omoshalia
    January 21, 2013 @ 05:59:02AM

how many people have these fellows killed?what mayhem have they caused?how many sleepless nights have they caused to innocent statesmen/women?let them get their share

• maxamad cabdlqaaddir cumar
    January 20, 2013 @ 02:07:26AM

I wonder with the ruthless and the threatening way you address the Muslim Somali women who have their children and husbands in jail. Brothers, these will not bring people closer, so come with something that can unite the people. Thank you.

• ahmed saabir
    January 19, 2013 @ 12:33:48PM

That is really saddening issue that may cause a big setback!

• Makumbe
    January 18, 2013 @ 06:55:08PM

Its educative please produce hard copy and sell it in Nairobi.

• ALIA
    January 16, 2013 @ 03:33:23AM

Let them be imprisoned for life

• aahmed abdi maalim
    January 15, 2013 @ 06:30:55AM

I am happy that Somalia's peacekeeping process is working and the criminals are now regretting of what they have done previously. I would like to appeal for their request not to be considered and they should be punished for crimes they committed.

• khaalid
    January 14, 2013 @ 07:17:06AM

Surely, this is a saddening issue.

• adoon alle
    January 13, 2013 @ 03:17:48PM

Woe to you and to your mass media. The Al-Shabaab will survive and achieve victory despite of you, God willing.

• Diirshe
    January 6, 2013 @ 07:04:17AM

I am happy about strength acquired by Somali security forces the way it seems. I would like also recommend the high school leavers to be recruited in to the police force or those good ones who have never been gangsters or drug abusers (Khat). The force of Khat chewers to be put in camps and even their leaders watched carefully. Thanks. Success to Somalia.

• xabiiba
    January 5, 2013 @ 05:50:41AM

I feel they should be taken to court and then sieved and trained. They should also be subjected to mental and moral examination.

• amin
    December 30, 2012 @ 06:18:47AM

I am a Somali boy who was initially deceived by Al-Shabaab but they wanted to kill me during their fight with the government but I ran away from them in the beginning of 2011 but I live in a foreign country since then. The same people who wanted to kill me previously work with the security forces. Is it possible for them to kill me or jail me if i ask you a question? I am asking honest question because I fear to go back to Somalia.

• jecinta mendza
    December 27, 2012 @ 01:40:14PM

Were those women waiting 4 their husbands and childrens to destruct their lives and others b4 they could talk to them to stop the act!?

• Aadan Ismaaciil Xuseen
    December 27, 2012 @ 02:57:51AM

Even it is a saddening misfortune that has befallen the community in southern Somalia it is good for us to work unanimously on the general security of the country and protect the weak community of Somalia so that we can eliminate those people with vested interest in Somalia. It is also worth remembering that it has never happened for the children of a man who is a member of Al-Shabaab to take part in fighting and it is at the same time good to think far. Likewise, the women whose husbands are members of Al-Shabaab whether their husbands have been arrested or not is important for them to correct their husbands because lack of job is better for them than being in jail or turning away from the religion.

• mwai
    December 25, 2012 @ 11:47:16AM

good article

• mataan
    December 25, 2012 @ 04:14:10AM

People have to be differentiated because there are those who have not committed any crime and those who have taken part in terrorism. Therefore, officials who know this work should teach the law because international laws say people should be taken to court within 24 hours.

• katekera mussa
    December 24, 2012 @ 07:55:02AM

Let them sit down and talk about Al-Shabaab for them to solve their problem. For how long will they continue fighting if they failed to listen to one another? Let the UN intervene. What is the work of UN?

• Darwishka labaad
    December 23, 2012 @ 10:03:44PM

I would like to describe the one who has wronged the Muslim nation for the sake of few coins given by the Christians. Those who talk ill about the Muslims are those close to the disbelievers like Abdullahi Yussuf, Siyad Mohamad, Sharif Sheikh Ahmed and others. They are today in the hands of God and God will never forgo His promise. They have been put in burning hell fire. You are also their friend and I am telling you the Muslims or those blessed by God do not fear and have no worries both in this world and in hereafter. If they believe in God then they don't portray the characteristics you say the Muslims are known for but you actually lied about them. I would like like to tell you to die with your hatred. You have sold your religion and get $50 to raise your children from the ill you say about the Muslims who work in the way of God. May God bring you to book soon.

• لتسرلت
    December 23, 2012 @ 12:51:20AM

They lied horribly.

• xasan wali
    December 22, 2012 @ 05:32:15AM

What I am hearing is really an issue to laugh at and it is wrong in three ways. First, Somali women are expected to be observant with where they will entrust with their future. Secondly, the militia; Al-Shabaab have forcefully taken poor women while knowing that they were wrong. This is surely a ruthless action to destroy the future of poor girls when you actually know you are falling into a ditch. Lastly, it is required from the government that is responsible over these people who were deceived to think of ways to sensitize them so that they feel the solution by the government. This will a good example to show Al-Shabaab has been defeated. People have to be made to hate Al-Shabaab and correct the wrongs they have committed even after they were defeated in term of military. This is a success that requires to be known. That is if the government in the hands of foreigners come to realize this. I would like to conclude by saying the Somali women should be made to know that their men remain they way they used to be and they are still loved.

• Lula Muhsin
    December 21, 2012 @ 04:00:14PM

Peace on you. I am really happy about your reports concerning the execution of work by the force which is actually true. There is a youthful man suffering from kidneys problem who they left in Marka town after he became sick. He was carried with a donkey cart and after reaching Mogadishu he saw the people who he thought would help him but was killed on the same day our brother; the Universal TV journalist; the son of Abdulle was killed in Medina. Such activities doesn't have roots in Islam. We are very sorry about the effects of Such issues on Somali people.

• c.salaan qabowsade
    December 19, 2012 @ 12:29:31PM

I hope Al-Shabaab will totally get finished. Let all of them die.