Profiles of Somalia's top presidential candidates

By Mahmoud Mohamed in Mogadishu

August 17, 2012

• 192 comments
  • Reset Decrease Increase

More than 35 candidates are vying for country's top position. Below is a summary of the most prominent presidential candidates:

From top left clockwise: Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed Farmajo, Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed, Sharif Hassan Sheikh Aadan, Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, Abdiweli Mohamed Ali, Abdirahman Abdullahi Baadiyow. [File]

Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed. [File]

Abdiweli Mohamed Ali. [File]

Sharif Hassan Sheikh Aadan. [File]

Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed Farmajo. [File]

Abdirahman Abdullahi Baadiyow. [File]

Hassan Sheikh Mohamud. [File]

Yusuf Garaad Omar. [File]

Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed

Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed is the current president of the Transitional Federal Government (TFG) whose term ends on August 20th.

Ahmed was born in 1964 near the city of Jowhar, where he attended primary education. He later moved to Mogadishu and completed secondary education at Sheikh Sufi Secondary School.

In 1992, Ahmed enrolled at the University of Kordofan in Sudan and transferred two years later to Open University in Libya, graduating in 1998 from the College of Sharia and Law. He taught Geography, Arabic and Religious Studies at Juba Secondary School until 2004, when he was nominated to lead the Islamic Courts Union (ICU).

The ICU was an alliance comprising regional Sharia courts that controlled most of southern Somalia.

In 2007, Ahmed left the ICU and with other former members founded an opposition group called the Alliance for the Re-liberation of Somalia. He later entered into UN sponsored negotiations with the transitional government under the late President Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed, and joined Somalia's transitional parliament.

Ahmed was elected to succeed Yusuf after the latter resigned in December 2008. Ahmed took office January 31, 2009.

President Ahmed speaks Somali and Arabic.

Abdiweli Mohamed Ali

Abdiweli Mohamed Ali was born in the late 1950s. After completing his secondary school education, he attended the Somali National University and obtained a bachelor's degree in economics in 1984.

He was the director of the tax department at the Ministry of Finance and Revenue from the mid-to-late 1980s. From 1988 to 1991, he was an assistant director at the Research and Statistics department at the Ministry of Finance and Revenue.

After that, he immigrated to the United States to continue his higher education.

He received his master's degree from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee in 1988 and then obtained another master's degree in public administration from Harvard University in 1999.

He received his Ph.D. in economics from George Mason University in Virginia in 2000.

In 2003, Ali taught economics at Niagara University in New York until he joined Somalia's transitional government as deputy prime minister and minister of planning and international cooperation.

He was appointed as prime minister in June 2011 after Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed Farmajo resigned.

Ali is highly experienced in academia and academic research, development and economic politics as well as financial and public administration. He worked for several international agencies including The World Bank and the United Nations Development Program (UNDP).

Before returning to Somalia in 2010, Ali was a member of the American Economic Association and Atlantic Economic Society.

Ali speaks Somali, English and Italian and holds dual Somali and US citizenship.

Sharif Hassan Sheikh Aadan

Sharif Hassan Sheikh Aadan was born in 1946 in Bardaale to a family originally from the Bay and Bakool regions.

Aadan entered politics in 2004 when he was elected speaker of the parliament in Somalia's transitional government. He held that position until 2007 when he was ousted for holding unauthorized talks with members of the Islamic Courts Union.

Aadan was appointed deputy prime minister and minister of finance when President Ahmed took office in 2009, and became one of the most prominent figures in the cabinet of former Prime Minister Omar Abdirashid Ali Sharmarke.

In May 2010, the Somali parliament re-elected Aadan as its speaker.

Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed Farmajo

Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed Farmajo was born in 1962 in Mogadishu to a family originally from Gedo in south-western Somalia.

In 1985, he was appointed as first secretary at the Somali embassy in Washington DC.

In 1989, he left to earn his bachelor's degree in history from the University of Buffalo in New York. During this time, Farmajo applied for political asylum in the United States after the government collapsed in 1991.

He continued his studies at the University at Buffalo and obtained a master's degree in political sciences and international relations.

After becoming an American citizen, he went on to hold several jobs in New York state, including at the Buffalo Municipal Housing Authority, the Erie County Division of Equal Employment Opportunity, and the New York State Department of Transportation.

President Ahmed appointed Farmajo as prime minister in October 2010 to succeed Omar Abdirashid Ali Sharmarke, who resigned from his post following a dispute.

Farmajo resigned from this post in June 2011 under pressure from the international community as part of the Kampala Accord between President Ahmed and the Speaker of Parliament Aadan, during which the mandate of the transitional institutions was extended to August 20, 2012.

In 2011, Farmajo founded a new political party, the Somali Justice and Equality Party, also known as Tayo.

Farmajo is currently secretary general for Tayo, which is chaired by Dr. Mariam Qasim, his former minister of women's affairs. Tayo is the first Somali political party headed by a woman.

Farmajo speaks Somali and English and holds dual Somali and US citizenship.

Ali Mohamed Ghedi

Ali Mohamed Ghedi was born in Mogadishu in 1952.

After finishing his secondary school education, he entered Somali National University in Mogadishu and graduated with a bachelor's degree in veterinary sciences. He later travelled to Italy to further his education with a two-year scholarship at the University of Pisa in 1979.

In 1981, Ghedi returned to Mogadishu where he taught at the Somali National University College of Veterinary Medicine, eventually becoming its head until the government collapse of 1991.

Ghedi served as prime minister of Somalia's Transitional Federal Government under the administration of President Abdullahi Yusuf from 2004 to 2007, when he resigned.

This is the second time that Ghedi is running for the presidency; the first was in 2009, but he withdrew his nomination.

Ghedi speaks Somali, Italian and English.

Abdirahman Abdullahi Baadiyow

Abdirahman Abdullahi Baadiyow was born in 1954 in Galguduud in central Somalia.

Baadiyow joined the Somali National Army in 1971, reaching the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and remained in active duty until 1986, when he decided to leave the military due to President Siad Barre's military response against clan-based armed factions that were emerging against his regime.

After leaving the armed forces, he enrolled at McGill University in Canada where he earned a master's degree and a PhD in Islamic studies.

He returned to Somalia in 1993 as the East Africa regional director of Mercy-USA for Aid and Development, a non-profit organisation that works to provide relief and promotes economic and educational development. While with Mercy-USA, Baadiyow worked in health and education until 2007, establishing primary and secondary schools as well as health centres in the region.

In 1996, he co-founded Mogadishu University where he serves as the current chairman of the Board of Trustees.

In 2000, Baadiyow took part in the Somalia National Peace Conference held in Djibouti and was selected as a member of the Technical Committee charged with overseeing the charter for the Transitional National Government.

Baadiyow speaks Somali and English and holds dual Somali and Canadian citizenship.

Ahmed Ismail Samatar

Ahmed Ismail Samatar is a prominent academic who has lived in the United States for over 30 years.

He is the current James Wallace Professor of International Studies at Macalester College in Saint Paul, Minnesota, where he also served as the Dean of International Studies and Programming, and as the founding Dean of the Institute for Global Citizenship.

Samatar's expertise is in the areas of global political economy, political and social thought and African development. He has authored five books and published over 30 articles. He received a PhD in 1984 from the University of Denver.

He has lectured at various universities including the Somali National University, London School of Economics and Political Science, Cornel University, Harvard University, University of Amsterdam, and the University of Otago.

Samatar is originally from the northern region of the country and opposes Somaliland's unilateral separation from the rest of the country.

He is the current leader of the Hiil Qaran political party, and one among 13 presidential hopefuls who have formed a coalition called National Association for Change. The group has struck a unity deal and will nominate one of its members as the presidential candidate.

Samatar holds dual Somali and US citizenship and speaks Somali, Arabic and English.

Hassan Sheikh Mohamud

Hassan Sheikh Mohamud is an academic and political and civic activist who has worked for several national and international peace and development organizations.

Mohamud graduated from the Somali National University in 1981 and then went on to study in India where he obtained a master's degree from Bhopal University in 1988.

In 1993, Mohamud worked for the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund as an education officer in south and central Somalia until the departure of the United Nations Operation in Somalia forces in 1995.

In 1999, he co-founded the Somali Institute of Management and Administration Development in Mogadishu, which later evolved into Simad University, and served as its dean until 2010.

In 2011, he founded the Peace and Development Party and currently serves as its chairman.

Mohamud speaks Somali and English.

Yusuf Garaad Omar

Yusuf Garaad Omar is a veteran journalist and former director of the BBC Somali Service in London.

Omar was born in 1960 in Mogadishu's Hamar Jajab district and completed his secondary education in Mogadishu. He attended the Somali National University where he studied French and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Linguistics.

He joined Radio Mogadishu in 1984 where he worked until the collapse of the central government.

In 1990, Omar immigrated to Italy and attended the University of Siena to pursue advanced studies in anthropology. He joined the BBC Somali Service in 1992, initially working as a freelance reporter from Italy. He became the head of the unit in 2000.

Omar holds dual Somali and British citizenship and speaks Somali, English, Italian and French.

(Comment Policy) *Denotes Required Field

Reader's Comments

• abuu maxamed
    May 21, 2014 @ 02:44:45PM

Brothers, first of all peace be upon you! my comment is brief, I will just say that this article is good and I liked it. May Allah lead us to the straight path.

• Prof:yaasiin c/wali axmad maxamad yaska
    February 9, 2014 @ 03:28:08PM

Peace be upon you all Muslims who live in and outside the country, peace be upon you. I like peace very much. I remember little about Somalia, I really love my country and I always dream about it, I am communicating with you from Bosaso city especially Arab neighborhood. I wish you good luck.

• mudane muud ali jirde
    January 10, 2014 @ 11:28:10AM

The history of candidate Shariif Sheikh Mohamud Sheikh Muse Cigale was only as the president of the government, that time has currently ended and he was a president who has fulfilled his duties and, he was a good president.

• cumar barre
    October 22, 2013 @ 04:07:07AM

I would like to say Farmajo deserves it and his service has been witnessed. We don't care of the interest of the foreigners and those who serve the interest of the foreigners in Somalia. Farmajo is a patriot.

• ducaale saciid xasa oo ku magac dheer warside
    February 7, 2013 @ 04:05:24AM

The article I read here today 7/2/2013 is very good to me. Bye.

• ع؟
    December 26, 2012 @ 02:46:58AM

If I was up to me, I would nominate Mohammad Ahmad bin Hadan as I admire him being an international, commercial and Islamic figure. May God grant His mercy to the deceased.

• ahmed
    September 19, 2012 @ 06:50:06AM

We thank God for giving Somalia a president who doesn’t work with selfish people who will derail the development of our country and people. He is the kind of president we were yearning for.

• cabdi cali
    September 13, 2012 @ 10:25:07AM

I am Very happy that the Somalis will bring the fantasy and the problems to an end if we support the reforms happening in the country, so that we can bring the problems to an end. And that is good. I welcome the new president and I have much confidence that with him there will much changes.

• samira hussin
    September 11, 2012 @ 02:44:22PM

O God, make the new president of the Somali nation and our rulers follow righteousness. A new era has started for the nation. I pray to God to make our country and all the countries of the believers safe. We should not think about the past, because it will not come back. We have nothing but the present and the future. I call on everybody to send 15 billion blessings to our Prophet, peace be upon him. I hope everybody will join with us. Send blessings to the Prophet.

• abdirashiid osmaan
    September 10, 2012 @ 11:17:05AM

I would give or offer the responsibility of the presidency to Hassan Sheikh Mahamud,my brother who is experienced.

• Abdirazak Idriss Jama
    September 10, 2012 @ 02:59:49AM

I would to express my support to Honorable Mohammad Abdullahi Mohammad Farmajo who I have high hopes that he will lead Somalia to a better future. I don’t think if another person can restore peace in Somalia except Farmajo.

• Cali Mahdi maxamuud Yuusuf
    September 10, 2012 @ 12:52:05AM

I would like to talk about the Honorable Abdiweli Ali Gas. He is a university educated man who worked in Somalia in the recent past and who uplifted the country to its current status. I think he could govern the country through a just manner and spearhead it to development because you must have seen what he achieved during the period he was the prime minister of Somalia unless you choose to cover your eyes deliberately. I am praying to God to help him become the president of Somalia.

• ibraahim cabdi
    September 9, 2012 @ 09:24:52AM

Peace on you. I would like to pass my regards to all the Somalis wherever they are. I have never seen a functional government or order in Somalia throughout my life. The person, who will be given the responsibility, is being awaited by many things to do. May God make our president to be; a good person who will lead us according to our religion revealed our prophet (Peace be upon him). MAY MAKE HIM A RELIGIOUS PERSON AMEN.

• أحمد عبد الكريم عمر
    September 8, 2012 @ 07:39:54PM

Firstly: Peace, blessings and mercy of God be ipon everyone. Secondly: I don't see any difference between the current presidential election and the precedent one. The problem is not about the candidates such as Sheikh Sharif and others, but it lies with those who are leading them such as (Augustine) Mahiga and those who have choose for us Ahmed as president. This election would be beneficial if it will be conducted without any foreign intervention. I think that the only man within the candidates who can regain security and stability to the country is Mohamed Abdullah Mohamed Farmajo; if Somalis were are the prisoners of their tribal allegiance they would have known that. I hope the parliament (members) would not be mercenaries working for their own interests and asking for money from the candidates I hope they would choose who can lead the nation and work for reform.

• Jelle kenya
    September 8, 2012 @ 10:33:28AM

Every body suffered in somalia.many died othes are in refugee camps while the remaining are takrifr and alshabab.no one to be ruled.

• Jelle
    September 8, 2012 @ 10:01:14AM

None of them can change somalia.let a military government came.

• xaji maqoste
    September 8, 2012 @ 02:35:27AM

First, I would like to pass my regards to all the workers of Sabahi media. Secondly, I think Somalia was lawless and had no central government for than 20 years. It does therefore not need a professional campaigner but a fruitful leader. It does not need corrupt leaders but an achievement oriented leader. It does not need a rich corrupt leaders but a new leadership. I thing Ali Badiyow can bring changes.

• Mohamed
    September 7, 2012 @ 06:46:57PM

I bleive Yusuf Garad is the best candidate and I support him.

• Hassan Said
    September 7, 2012 @ 10:41:33AM

I wish you the very best my brothers in Somalia in the process of getting a good leader, a patriot, who cares about the interests of the people of Somalia, to live in peace without bloodshed Insha’Allah God is with you. I thank Sabahi very much for showing the qualities of the candidates, there are those who are highly educated such as Dr Baadiyow. It is time to say that bloodshed is over in Somalia

• fuqdinley
    September 6, 2012 @ 06:12:55PM

Lets elect Samatar and declare war on the secessionist enclave of the Isaacs and unite all Somalia.

• Dawid
    September 3, 2012 @ 10:45:34AM

The article is good. To be honest we have lost so much time and let us pray for a new beginning. I believe any character that is not al shabab oriented has a chance to do better.

• in Mooge
    September 2, 2012 @ 07:53:13AM

These men have described and advertised themselves too much. I can say this kind of description is not needed because it portrays their personal interest and for this reason we should give the responsibility to one in the parliament who has not described himself as we were told by our prophet (Peace be upon him). I think, we will get the best if we do this way! Otherwise, what I see going on can be termed as selling one’s self or robbing others of their money.

• suldaan aadan cali
    September 2, 2012 @ 06:57:12AM

First, I would like to thank you for letting us know about the CVs of the contestants. Secondly, I could vote for Prof. A/weli Mohammad Gas as the president someone is to be elected for being just. When I look at what he has done I find that he deserves to become the president of Somalia. If I could be told to vote for a person I could vote for Gas.

• Borqor bashiir cali cabdi madoobe
    September 2, 2012 @ 04:47:26AM

First, I would like to pass my regards to all the Somalis. I would like to thank you very much for the good way you prepared the profiles of the contestants. I personally support Farmajo.

• ilyas ahamed
    September 2, 2012 @ 04:27:41AM

Peace on to you. All the contestants are citizens but differ in terms of their abilities and knowledge to correlate with the world and devotion. So, I would like to tell the Somalis to vote for either of these 2 men: Prof. Ahmad Samatar or Dr. Badiyow. May God lead us to the best.

• moh fanah
    September 2, 2012 @ 02:58:55AM

The political process is gradually improving and eventually the people of Somalia will have the political system they have always wanted. Everyone is committed to seeing that the process is successful and the Somali people are politically stable again after decades of political instability. They are implementing and amending their constitution which is a good thing for the political process.

• kiinka
    September 1, 2012 @ 01:29:51PM

If I express my opinion, I could give my vote to Prime Minister Mohammad Abdullahi Farmajo.

• mohamed Abdi Hasan Dhaqane
    September 1, 2012 @ 10:32:16AM

This report is well prepared. I support A/weli Mohammad Ali because he is a learned man who knows a lot about the issues of Somalia and has shown his just and transparent work when he was the prime minister.

• Hassan salaad calli AHLU-SHARAF
    September 1, 2012 @ 09:49:42AM

I wish to pass my regards to all the presidential contestants of Somalia. I, as Hassan support YUSUF GARAD. I am saying he can do something because he worked for the Somali governnment and he is experienced in politics. Please vote for YUSUF GARAD and pray for him.

• jamac ali obsiiye
    September 1, 2012 @ 07:33:24AM

Thanks to the writer of this article. I would like to urge you to elect Sheikh Sharif because he has done many things which his predecessors could not do and cannot be done by many others after him. He is the one who made the contest for the president to be held in Mogadishu today which did not happen for the duration the country was in civil war. He made the city of our country secure. I would therefore like to advise you to elect him once again.

• mohazakir
    September 1, 2012 @ 05:27:20AM

Surely I could urge you to elect women instead of men because they could be better.

• Asad Yare
    August 31, 2012 @ 04:21:53AM

You can get their correct CVs from Facebook.

• cumar axmed jaamac
    August 31, 2012 @ 03:21:53AM

I am in Hargeisa. God knows who is better for the Somalis but there is a man whose effort and ability attracted most of the people and that man is Farmajo. I pray to God to help the Somalis choose the best leader. I am a Somalilander but I want my brothers in Somalia to get good things. I pray for them all the times and I truly feel pain whenever I hear something has happened.

• cabdikariim.m
    August 30, 2012 @ 03:07:28PM

Peace on you. I would like to say Prof. Ahmad Ismail Samatar should be elected because the Southerners were ruling Somalia for the last 20 years and they have done nothing tangible so far. The only man who can unite Somalia is Samatar.

• Dayow
    August 30, 2012 @ 11:48:37AM

SA, This is indeed commendable for the citizenry has the right to know the kind of leaders they have to elect. It is amazing the potential this country has in terms of human resource and educated people but sadly...... they cany agree and help the country and the people. May Allah give Somalia JUST leaders

• Abdirizak
    August 30, 2012 @ 10:38:47AM

We are very happy about how you have prepared for us this brief life history about the contestants.

• maxamed maxamuud
    August 30, 2012 @ 10:01:19AM

Peace on you. I am wondering with what these people whose biographies you wrote and who you want to them lead this society affected by civil wars and poverty have. There is no one among them who has a religious certificate. How can they protect the society? Oh! God, choose for us a leader who knows of your existence.

• WESLEY KIMUTAI BII
    August 30, 2012 @ 09:48:01AM

iF YOU WANT VISIONARY LEADERSHIP PLEASE ELECT DR. Abdirahman Abdullahi Baadiyow FOR THE POSITION OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF SOMALIA. WHATEVER HE SAYS HE DOES. HIS GOVERNANCE ABILITIES HAVE BEEN DEMOSTRATED BY PROMOTING EDUCATION WHICH IS THE KEY TO DEVELOPMENT AND CIVILIZATION OF THE WORLD.

• siciid dable
    August 30, 2012 @ 09:28:47AM

I think you should evaluate the knowledge depending on the job to be done regardless of region, tribe or favoring one man. I think Dr. Ahmad Ismail Samatar is the most experienced man.

• mustafe Ali hassan
    August 30, 2012 @ 04:23:34AM

I support Yusuf Garad Omar because he is an experienced politician.

• eng yacquub nuux
    August 30, 2012 @ 04:01:10AM

It is really good if learned people are today contesting for the presidency of Somalia. I support Prof. AHMAD ISMAIL SAMATAR to become the president of Somalia.

• fayroor
    August 30, 2012 @ 02:56:13AM

My brothers, Vote for the Somali patriot; Prof. Samatar from Awdal region; a region known for uniting Somalia and whose people are patriots who like to help both the country and the people.

• rooble
    August 30, 2012 @ 02:41:29AM

I could vote for Sharif because he admired the responsibility.

• sharmal al sheikh
    August 30, 2012 @ 12:57:51AM

There is no one who will help Somalia because there is no one whoever he should be, suitable for the presidency at the moment. Everyone wants to fill his empty wallet that he with ran with in to Somalia.

• hanaan ali obsiiye
    August 29, 2012 @ 10:29:23PM

You are all tribal minded. Those who created chaos in Somalia and who were to be taken to The HAGUE were forcefully selected as parliamentarians in where they claim to represent and then you are telling us to vote for so and so. I feel, there is nothing good coming out of this contest but let them just take it as we unite the country for this 5 years. If you want the truth, none of these contestants can do something for the country. They are searching for money. Look at this: Sharif Sakiin was said to have no education but they could not say Kanyare to be a warlord. They say Sheikh Sharif deserves the presidency but he is one of those who ruined Mogadishu. Is that correct? Isn’t that tribalism? Why are Somalis being confused? This is really sad.

• threejayz
    August 29, 2012 @ 08:45:31PM

This is good. All these men are learned and they have the capacity to become the president but I want either Abdiweli or Farmajo to become the president if sheikh Sharif fails to secure the presidency. The rest also deserve but these three men who we have seen what they achieved deserve more than anyone else. If we elect a new person it will force us to give him time to familiarize with the politics but these men are already familiar with what is happening and how to solve it. Thanks to all independent minded people. By Threejayz Jabka.

• maxamedqalbinuur
    August 29, 2012 @ 03:29:58PM

I am an adolescent boy and a student. If I express my opinion, I like Farmajo to become the president because he helped both the country and the people. I would to urge any parent who wants a good future for his/her children to vote for Farmajo. Farmajo. Farmajo. Farmajo.Farmajo. I wish you success. May God make all your enemies lose? I support you because of how you assisted your Somali brothers.

• askar
    August 29, 2012 @ 01:27:43PM

Kkkkkkkkkkk let them eat one another, if they have refused to unite. Somalia will not get a president better than Siyad Bare, whether led by Gedi, Farmajo or the 2 Sharifs you say. May God help Somalia. I never thought that the Somalis will cry for Siyad Bare but I have learnt that he was a patriot and dogs he used to protect the country from have now got the opportunity.

• maxamuud xasan cali
    August 29, 2012 @ 12:47:32PM

I could vote for the wise and experienced man; Mohammad Abdullahi Mohammad Farmajo.

• Awaadam
    August 29, 2012 @ 10:25:03AM

Kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk Are these not the people who have forgone their religion and followed the disbelievers who invaded their religion? And this is now the disbelievers’ project. We will wait for GOD’s decision.

• Awaadam
    August 29, 2012 @ 10:22:28AM

Let this not make you crazy as it will not ever settle until GOD’s sheriah is enforced in the country.

• muscab haji mohamed
    August 29, 2012 @ 10:11:21AM

In my opinion, I would vote for Dr. Mohammad Abdullahi Farmajo. I wish him Success.

• bulshaaaaawi
    August 29, 2012 @ 09:53:26AM

Peace on you. I wish to pass my regards to all the Somalis. I wish to thank the writer of this article very much because he let us know very many things clearly. He has clearly demonstrated the existing facts particularly issues related to education. As a supporter and a patriot, I would like to vote for either the professor or any the two Doctor; Prof: Ahmed Ismail Samatar or Dr. Mohamed {bashiir} Abdullahi Farmaajo or Dr Abdiweli Ali Gas and pray to God to help the Somalis elect any of these three men. However, I wish Abdiweli to become our leader because he has really assisted for the few months he was the prime minister. I believe he can take the country out of this problem. Thanks to all Somali people.

• mohamednoor duweysh
    August 29, 2012 @ 09:26:37AM

Farmajo is enough for Somalia if you are thinking rightly. I am talking of patriotism. Thanks to all those who are wise.

• Ismael Yare
    August 29, 2012 @ 09:16:21AM

A man has travelled for his own safety while the other was with you trying to solve the problems. God help you.

• SAHRO
    August 29, 2012 @ 08:40:57AM

PEACE ON YOU. I COULD VOTE FOR BADIYOW BECAUSE HE IS EDUCATED.

• rama
    August 29, 2012 @ 06:49:33AM

It’s good. I’ve liked it.

• farmajo
    August 29, 2012 @ 06:05:31AM

zahra Ahmed Hassan warfa.

• dhanto
    August 29, 2012 @ 05:52:11AM

I pray to God to give our leadership to the best among the aspirants. Even though no God fearing man will aspire to take that position, I pray to God to ease for them. I would like to tell the Somalis that tribalism is what has created enmity in our country and let’s therefore elect the one we think is trustworthy, just, patriotic, experienced, transparent and educated. Oh! God, lead us to the truth, help the Somalis overcome their problems and have your mercy on all Muslims.

• SACAD AXMED
    August 29, 2012 @ 02:52:33AM

SAAD AHMED YASIN, THE BIOGRAPHY OF THE MOST DETERMINED PRESIDENTIAL ASPIRANTS OF SOMALIA. SABAHION. COM -MOZILLA FIREFOX

• Sweet Nana
    August 29, 2012 @ 01:30:12AM

We wish success to everyone that has in his heart the love for his homeland and his fellow citizens. God willing, we will live in happiness and peace.

• mahamuud
    August 28, 2012 @ 05:36:04PM

I would like to support the former head of BBC Somali channel; Yusuf Garad Omar Ahmad.

• Abdrizak S. Ibrahim
    August 28, 2012 @ 03:12:43PM

i reaky appreacite wth the BIOGRAPHY of leaders bt i fully suport FARMAJO becoz he has shown us the smell of gov,t.am requesting the new parliament dont just vote bt vote wisely.

• fu.aad
    August 28, 2012 @ 01:45:27PM

To all my friends, the president is Ahmad Ismail Samatar.

• MUSTAPHA DHEREEYE
    August 28, 2012 @ 11:30:28AM

I WISH PEACE TO PREVAIL IN THE WHOLE OF SOMALIA.

• mudug boy
    August 28, 2012 @ 08:27:43AM

Peace on to all those who have expressed their views. Secondly, is it the 2 sharifs or Abdiwelli and Farmajo? The 2 Sharifs are neither good nor suitable to contest even though the sharif whose is now the outgoing president is better. But the other Sharif has nothing to do in the parliament and he will do nothing for both the people and the country. Leave of electing him for a post, I can tell you he is not trustworthy. Abdiweli Mohammed Gas is tribal minded and tribalism is what made Somalia what it is today. We don’t want a tribal minded leader and we get rid of tribalism. Lastly, Farmajo is an educated man who loves helping his country and his people and that is evident in what he achieved the few months he was the prime minister. Patriotism is inborn and not as a result of imitation, therefore I would like to urge you to vote for Farmajo if we are patriots and we want someone to get us out of the refugee status. Vote for Abdiweli Gas if you want tribalism. Vote for Sheikh Sharif of the parliament if you want a thief. vote for the sheikh if you want him to be made a parliamentarian.

• cumar yusuf
    August 28, 2012 @ 08:14:32AM

This article is wrong because it does not indicate very many things that were supposed to be written about a contestant like Dr. Badiyow. Nothing much was written about him. He speaks in Arabic, English and Somali. Likewise, Sharif Hassan speaks in English, Somali and Arabic but you not written. These are some of the mistakes I pointed out in your article. Rewrite this article.

• Ahmed Omar shine
    August 28, 2012 @ 08:11:39AM

I salute you. I am one of the readers of these pages. I would like to let you know that as human beings have forgotten Dr. Abdullahi Ahmad Adow as one of most determined candidate among the aspirants. Likewise, you have forgotten to write information about his educational background. You have instead written about Sharif Hassan; a businessman who has no education. Ahmed Omar Shine, Nairobi Kenya.

• Aliis yusuf
    August 28, 2012 @ 07:52:16AM

Peace on you. I would like to pass my regards to all the Somalis wherever they are. I would like to urge you to unite and support the aspirant whose politics is based on peace and development. I would like to let you know of what he has done in Mogadishu town in the last six months. Hon. Sheikh Sharif has never given me anything but I want him re-elected, God willing. I am praying to God for his re-election because he is a patriot who loves Somalia. Have you ever seen a president who is in the forefront in the battle field? Have you ever seen a president who helps the poor personally? Somalia will be doomed if led by a new person. May God give our leadership to Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmad as he is a just leader? May God give our leadership to Sheikh Sharif all the times as we pray to you forever? I am praying to God to protect us from those people who sold or signed to disrupt the movement at the coast of Somalia by becoming either a parliamentarian or a soldier in our country and to make the desert the country. May God reduce the lifespan of those who sell their country or take orders from other countries. Peace on you. Correct me as my writing is poor, ladies and gentlemen.

• Omr Mohamed
    August 28, 2012 @ 05:26:59AM

This article is very useful as it enable us 2 knw who exactl are we dealing with,congrats for the shared valuable information! After knwing each and evryones personalities then we can deduce their leadership acquired experience and the man for the job can easily be identified!

• abdiaziz
    August 28, 2012 @ 05:18:41AM

it is easy to distroy than to make my brother we knw and we hve seen with our neked eyes who can make our coutry somalia peacifully non atha than mahamed abdullahi farmajo please and please iam urging u member of paliament not to take bribe

• xassan aden lodon
    August 28, 2012 @ 04:27:58AM

Peace on you. May God lead us to the best as He knows the truth but the man who has not once committed any crime against his country and his people from the 60s and who loves the Somalis wherever they are is Prof. Samatar. Most of other aspirants are not also bad. That is it. Bye.

• abubakar mohamed
    August 28, 2012 @ 04:15:03AM

Even though all the presidential aspirants have the capacity, the only man I think can bring considerable changes is MOHAMED FARMAJO because he is a man whose ability to change was seen for the short duration he was the Prime Minister. We should therefore support and vote for him.

• Ali
    August 28, 2012 @ 02:50:43AM

For united Somalia ,elect Samatar.Ya Allah unite us.

• Seefta-banaanka
    August 28, 2012 @ 12:54:50AM

My brothers, if the son of Samatar has no support from his community, then he cannot lead us here in Mogadishu. He should look for his Isack clan.

• ca
    August 27, 2012 @ 12:27:24PM

Someone who will work in the interest of Somalia should be elected. The leadership should be given to a new person and Somalia is now successfully transitioning from the transitional leadership hence needs a good leader who cares for both the country and the religion.

• kinuthia
    August 27, 2012 @ 09:39:06AM

hail peace oh ye somalis,prosper forever

• maxamed shirey
    August 27, 2012 @ 08:53:24AM

I would like to pass my regards to all the contenders for the presidency of Somalia. I would like to vote for the only man who wants to work in the interest of the people and the country and that man is Mohammad Abdullahi Farmajo. Peace on you once again. Bye.

• dr muhamed hassan hagaa
    August 27, 2012 @ 07:30:18AM

Peace on you. I support Dr. Ahmad Ismail Samatar. May God help him win Amen. Human beings have no ability to choose but God chooses. May God help him win

• Shukri Ibrahim Hashi
    August 27, 2012 @ 06:04:47AM

Truly, I pray to God to support anyone who cares for the interest of the Somalis. When I critically look at the candidates I could give the presidency to Yusuf Garad because of his experience about the affairs of Somalia both nationally and internationally. He is famous and not tribal minded man. This is the only qualify we want as Somalis.

• boqor...axmed
    August 27, 2012 @ 05:36:10AM

You have written a good biography about those who have given you money but nothing for the rest. What is that? Secondly you used their surnames like the disbelievers. What is that?

• Abdullaahi
    August 27, 2012 @ 02:58:08AM

Sharif Hassan has no educational background. Who can explain to us why? I think very many things will change if we give the leadership to any of the following: Baadiyow, Ahmed Said, Farmaajo or Yusuf Garad, because each one of them is has the knowledge, experience and ability to lead.

• bashir abdillahi skeikh ibrahim
    August 26, 2012 @ 06:34:51PM

I strongly Support Ahmed Ismail Samatar for president basing my support on his CV and his ability to do something for the country and the people, I would like him to become the president of Somalia. Secondly, I believe he can do something   about the problems such as politics wars, looting, killings, disintegration, nepotism, tribalism, bootlicking and IDPs in Somalia and can protect our territory from being invaded by foreigners such as Ethiopia, Kenya and many others.  May the Almighty God give him a win. Amen.

• abubakar
    August 26, 2012 @ 01:49:11PM

All these men whose biographies were written in this article are very important people who have the capacity to lead. I believe each of them can effectively play his role. I am praying to God to choose for us the best among them. AMEN.

• yaasiin
    August 26, 2012 @ 12:54:27PM

In my opinion, Dr. Samatar should be elected because he is an experienced man whose ability and vision is known to everyone. He comes from the Northern region, particularly Awdal region of Somalia and belongs to the only clan which is clean from political crime. I would like to advise you to elect Prof. Samatar if you have hope in Somalia because he is the only man who can lead to peace, unity, economic development and prosperity in education. Thank you.

• حسين عبد يوسف
    August 26, 2012 @ 11:13:54AM

We wish that professor Abdirahman Muallem Abdullahi (Baidoa) will win the presidency in order to grant a chance for the intellectuals to work, serve and lead their country; it is time that they do it, the warlords' role has ended.

• Ahmed-nuur Osman Daahir
    August 26, 2012 @ 10:37:51AM

A.S.C? NEXT THANKS TO ALLAH THEN TO SABAHIONLINE REPORTES. YOU HAVE RAELLY GIVEN US WHAT WE WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THE SOMALI PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES. GOD KNOWS WHO IS REALLY SUITABLE FOR THIS TOP POSITION. BUT FOR ME IF I AM ONE OF THE VOTERS IN THE PARLAMENT. I WOULD HAVE VOTED FOR THE PROF.AHMED ISMA,IL SAMATAR. FOR HE IS A VISIONARY AND PATRIOTIC EDUCATER.

• Nuurdiin Cali Maxamed (Nuur Cade)
    August 26, 2012 @ 08:16:52AM

My name is Nurdin Ali Mohamed. I live in Mogadishu and I am a student at the University of Somalia. In my opinion the presidency should be given to Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed (Farmajo) who is most favorite candidate of the Somalis. I believe Mr. Farmajo can do something about the persistent problems in Somalia, God willing and can return the goodness Mogadishu was known for, if God say.

• Caaqilsomali
    August 26, 2012 @ 05:41:17AM

i believe new era has come to in somalia,,,,my somali brothers and sister please stop tribalism and elect the professer abdi ismael samater.he can do more.

• mohamad maalim hasan
    August 26, 2012 @ 05:14:13AM

Those thieves should be chased and good leadership existing in Kismayo transferred to Mogadishu if you want peace in Somalia. This is my opinion and it should be taken. Peace on you.

• c/laahi
    August 26, 2012 @ 05:08:55AM

I begin with the name of God. I would like to pass my regards to the readers and the writers of this article. When I read the CVs of the contestants written in this article, I would like to urge you to vote for Prof. Gaas; the current prime minister because he has the highest record of achievements more than any other candidate. He liberated the country in one year and if we give him the leadership for years there is no doubt he will do a lot. I am not praising him but saying facts known to all Somalis about him. Hon. Prime Minister, I wish you victory and you will win, God willing. Thank you all.  I say good luck to you Prof. A/Wali Mohamed Ali Gaas.

• mohamad maalim hasan
    August 26, 2012 @ 04:46:09AM

Do these men deserve the position they are contesting for? They should all be chased and the Muslim leaders called.

• AXMED AADAN MOHAMED
    August 26, 2012 @ 04:17:34AM

I would like to tell the parliamentarians not to elect the men they know; like the current president and the Prime Minister [Gaas]. I would like to urge the Somalis to elect Mohamed A/llahi Farmajo who is a brave Somali man.

• axmed m keke
    August 26, 2012 @ 01:49:34AM

Peace on you. If I am a voter today I could vote for Mohamed A/llahi Farmajo as the president because of what he has done for the Somalis when he was the Prime Minister.

• Farah
    August 26, 2012 @ 01:37:08AM

I could not vote for any of these men because none of them deserves the position they are vying for.

• Yusuf Bashir Caliyow
    August 26, 2012 @ 12:12:46AM

It is really disappointing because the man who talked ill about Sheikh Sharif is Habar Gidir and any other enemy. I am sure he is 1000 and 1 times better than Hassan Dahir. You Habar Gidir are confused and you should not go to hell because of the hatred you nurse against Abgaal.

• asma sh mahomed
    August 25, 2012 @ 03:12:02PM

Ahmed Ismail Samatar is experienced. Not only experienced but an all-rounded man. Let him lead the government of Somalia.

• shiine
    August 25, 2012 @ 05:12:47AM

It is a wrong article because it says Prof. Ahmad Ismail Samatar comes from the Northern region, whereas the rest come from other regions. It is trying to portray the North as equivalent to Banadir. They are still despising the Northern region. In conclusion, I would like to urge you to vote for Prof. Ahmed Ismail Samatar.

• Dr.Abdullah daher
    August 25, 2012 @ 05:06:59AM

Please vote for Prof. Ahmad Ismail Samatar as he is able to lead both the country and the people.

• liban
    August 25, 2012 @ 04:30:33AM

It is a good article that can help the Somalis. In my view, the Somalis should be led by Dr. Bariyow because he is highly learned man who knows what the Somalis need and who has done a lot for the Somalis. I pray to God to make emerge victorious. AMEN.

• khadar
    August 25, 2012 @ 03:35:10AM

Somalia will begin a new life and a new hope. We were waiting a lot for this moment. I pray to God to make this dream come true. I support YUSUF GAARAD OMAR; he is a good leader.

• cabdi kariim
    August 25, 2012 @ 03:23:13AM

As the people of Somaliland we support Mohammad Abdullah if we are entitled express our opinion.

• Abu Mohamed
    August 25, 2012 @ 01:23:33AM

Somalia can be led by someone who was not active in the tribal politics that was going on in the country for the last 20 years.

• Mohamed
    August 25, 2012 @ 12:50:40AM

I would like to tell the Somalis that your votes will not reach your desired destination because the voters will be selected by MAHIGA and the Somali ELDERS who will not base their selection on both KNOWLEDGE and ABILITY. I would like to urge you to wait until you will be able to vote on your own for the person you want. May God lead us to the straight path.

• ABDIRIZAK S. IBRAHIM
    August 24, 2012 @ 05:25:36PM

farmajo deserves 2 lead somalia.he has shown us alot.FARMAJO 4 PRESIDENT

• xaaji mire
    August 24, 2012 @ 04:53:05PM

When I looked at their CVs and their way of administration I decided to urge you to vote for Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmad who I can say has done many tangible things in Somalia after he became the president and before when he was working with the Unions of Islamic courts.

• shire
    August 24, 2012 @ 04:42:33PM

Peace on you. Thank you for expressing your opinion esteemed readers. I would like also to thank the journalists who prepared this article for us. After that, I would like to tell my friend Abdi Sahal Ale to repent for telling a Muslim to have the wrath of God on him which is really sinful. You cannot construct a good CV for Sharif Hassan and everyone’s CV was shown whether little or many. From the time Sharif Hassan was elected to the moment I have never seen where his CV was written. If you want to use weapon to force people to construct a good CV for the Sharif Hassan then I am sorry for that is an idea whose time has passed. If I talk about the contestants I would like to appeal to God to choose the best one for us as He knows the best among the contestants. If education can be received from the university very many people have received it but when it comes to achievement the most favorite candidate among the Somalis whether young or old, wherever they are is Farmajo because we consider his achievements. He did not win the support of the people because of his achievement records but not for anything else. If there is a better person then we pray to God to choose for us. But we pray to God not to choose for us a bad leader. May God correct me in where I have gone wrong. THANK YOU.

• umu sudais
    August 24, 2012 @ 02:34:15PM

Peace on you. If the people can vote then may God guide them to vote. It is good for us to elect the deserving leader ABDI RAHMAN BAADIYO. I wish you a win.

• khalid
    August 24, 2012 @ 01:56:58PM

I support MOHAMED A/LAAHI FARMAAJO BECAUSE HE IS A BRAVE MAN. May GOD MAKE YOU EMERGE VICTORIOUS

• Mire
    August 24, 2012 @ 01:00:50PM

Well. We should Base Our view as Clanism But nationalism in conclussion it is time that all somalis should and a form a single president no matter the tribe he comes This nation NEEDS a patriotic Leader he can lead also somalis of all tribes. Farmaajo gain the support of the somalis all over the world while some of them in the graves due the support the showed him. Remember farmaajo was the only leade who did not visited Ethiopia while he was in the office of prime minister of Somalia. He beleive Good Governance can be obtained only thru beeing a patriotic to your Nation that is why he had kicked out of the Office by external nations. I wish Farmaajo should be elected as a president. I always think when our Boarders will be secured from the Africans interventions and when will we think of Build the National Army. Farmajo was the First Somali Leader He planed The Army Salary and other Government sectors Please Let farmajo be the President of Our Beloved Somalia it is the best time for somalia Because Melez Is Dead that satan was fueling our problems. Good Luck

• Roble
    August 24, 2012 @ 12:22:21PM

Dr. Abdulkassim Salat should be elected as the president and Farmajo as the prime minister. The rest should also be given other posts to hold. I think Mahiga knows where their home is.

• Samatar
    August 24, 2012 @ 09:29:26AM

Most of these aspirants are the kind of people we need but I want to say one thing from here and you should write it from me, God willing. The man who was the head of the university will become the president of Somalia. Sharif will be stressed by the world. I have top secrets that I can’t say now.

• mustapha
    August 24, 2012 @ 08:27:03AM

job well done for various comment of different pplz in different part of the world? we have thank and pray ALLAH so we see larger somalia should be? May ALLAH made somalia to be peace.my opinion to the contestant of somalia presency is only one person and this is mohamed farmajo,the only person who is looking the interest somali nation,clean as wel as hardworking the rest are lookin only there interest.iargue member of parliament to elect farmaajo?

• zakaria
    August 24, 2012 @ 07:41:27AM

Two personalities: 1- Yusuf Garaad Omar 2- Ahmad Ismail Samatar

• salman Ali
    August 24, 2012 @ 04:47:08AM

I think we need to borrow wisdom written from the first president of Kenya where he said (Kenya does not need someone with empty magazines today. Today I have taken and saved the much I can. I have saved enough to eat throughout my life time but Kenya needs me) he was elected again and he is the one who made Kenya what it is today. I would like to urge you to elect Sheikh Sharif today for many reasons. I don’t come from the same tribe, region or party with him but expressing my opinion as a Somali man. May God help us choose?  It is up to you and your personalities to choose!!!!!!!

• adan irad
    August 24, 2012 @ 02:58:45AM

thanks for giving us the profiles of our brothers.the question that comes in to ,y mind every nw and then is,when wil we get RID of tribalism,when our learned folks prefer tribe than MERIT?as a somali,a brother to all somalis,i would suggest that let us nt concentrate our minds on whats is present but think of the past and the future.if i remind u last year:s;how have u felt as a person when u saw children,women and old lyng dead on the streets???????????it is nt a loughing mater,for those who wa in the camps nw wel.this country is ours and it can fully satisfy us.for the contestants,toady is ur turn,and tmrw u wl b accounted for.for unity of our country let the SHERIA be uphold,for honour,power and glory belongs to Allah,His messenger and believers.i thank for ur good comments.

• DALMAR
    August 24, 2012 @ 02:37:25AM

SURELY, THEY HAVE ALL SHOWN HARD WORK IN THEIR STUDIES BUT IT IS NOT OF BENEFIT. THEIR BRAINS DO NOT REFLECT THESE GOOD CVS BECAUSE ALL OF THEM ARE TRIBAL CACOONS. 1- ABGAAL’S LANGUAGE IS SPOKEN IN STATE HOUSE. 2-RAHANWEYN IS SPOKEN IN THE PARLIAMENT. 3- YOU WILL THINK YOU ARE IN GALKAYO WHEN YOU GO TO ABIWELI’S HOUSE. THIS PROBLEM NEEDS TO BE SOLVED.

• jaamac axmed wali
    August 23, 2012 @ 05:41:18PM

My brothers, I would like to say it is not bad for anyone to lead us but how will he lead the the people and the country? Will he lead by democracy or the Islamic Sharia? Fear God as you will be accountable for whatever you do in this world in front of God. It is not good to run for leadership. Be careful of this issue.

• sudeis abdulkhadir
    August 23, 2012 @ 04:38:20PM

Peace on you. Thank you for showing us the CVs. As someone who has the interest of the Somalis at heart regardless of tribe, I would like to urge you to elect Mohammad Abdullahi Farmajo. I will vote for him as the most favorite candidate of the Somalis. Peace on you.

• Abuu Cali
    August 23, 2012 @ 03:47:35PM

I think Somalis are today tired of giving positions like the premier and the presidency to the big 2 tribes; Hawiye and Darood to satisfy them as this strategy failed to bring political stability and formation of strong government to solve the problems faced by both the country and the people. We must borrow the solution used by Somaliland after the death of President Ibrahim Igal where the presidency was given to Ina Riyale who came from a minority clan so as to prevent conflicts between the major tribes hence leading Somaliland to a peaceful political transition. Likewise, we can emulate the ruling party of Ethiopia which has chosen the deputy prime minister from a minority clan so that he can lead the country to a peaceful transition in case of death of the prime minister which you can see today. Isn’t Sharif Hassan therefore suitable to be given the opportunity so that he solves the problems in our country today? I think he will lead better because he will have no support from any tribe thereby becoming neutral. He will be able to defend our country without entertaining tribal ideology.

• siciid jirde
    August 23, 2012 @ 02:58:42PM

I think this is the right time for the Somalis to put aside tribalism, conflicts and pointing fingers at each other and to embark on building peace, stability and forming a strong national government. I would like to urge any contestant who wants to work in the best interest of the Somalis regardless of tribe to take the presidency. I would like to tell the Southern Republic that it is time for you to recognize the Republic of Somaliland after you settle your issues. Being independent from each other is better than how things are at the moment between the South and the Republic of Somaliland. Thank you.

• abdeeq maxamed abyan
    August 23, 2012 @ 02:43:25PM

In my opinion, I think Sheikh Sharif needs to be re-elected because he now the world.

• mohamed bashiir
    August 23, 2012 @ 02:36:39PM

I would like to say Farmajo can change many things from Somalia if elected. I would like to recommend him to be elected.

• ibraahim
    August 23, 2012 @ 02:07:10PM

I would like to elect Ahmad Ismail Samatar because he is a wise man who can unite Somalia but God know the best one to lead us.

• maxamed mursal sulub
    August 23, 2012 @ 01:14:25PM

Surely, I think these men who are contesting for the presidency of Somalia such as Prof. Samatar and Prof. Farmajo are knowledgeable. These 2 are great men. We are praying to God to help any of these 2 who wins the presidency to lead us.

• abdulkadir ahmed
    August 23, 2012 @ 12:54:12PM

Peace on you. Let’s not be hesitant on who to elect. The only knowledgeable, experienced and with a good plan to lead who can save the country from anarchy with the help of God, is PROF AXMED ISMAIL SAMATER. May God help us to elect him as our president, God willing.

• Adam
    August 23, 2012 @ 12:28:46PM

I would like us to give priority to how clean one is from corruption, tribalism and nepotism before voting for an aspirant from the several presidential aspirants. If we elect someone who has the interest of the Somalis at heart, he will most probably become the person to safe our country which has been stricken by lawlessness, misfortunes as well as a shelter for terrorism.

• A Gurey
    August 23, 2012 @ 10:50:21AM

We thank you a lot for the good way you prepared this article. This is indeed required for the society to be informed of.

• cabdulkadir
    August 23, 2012 @ 10:47:07AM

That is good. We want to strengthen the peace and stability we have achieved with the help of Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmad (May God protect him). Pray for him like the way we pray for him too. We got independence now. Thanks to God. Compare what we passed through to where we are now.

• axmed adan maxamed
    August 23, 2012 @ 10:21:35AM

Peace on you. First, I would like to pass my regards to all the Somalis wherever they are. If I express my opinion concerning this important article showing the CVs of the Somali presidential aspirants, I can say only two aspirants deserve the presidency basing my argument both on their political and academic qualifications. These two aspirants I say deserve the presidency are; Sharif and Farmajo. Somalia does not need a man who will today begin his work from where we left the year 2007 but requires someone to continue from where it is at the moment. These two aspirants I recommend know very well about the contemporary politics of Somalia. I particularly recommend the current president; Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmad for the presidency. I would like to urge the Somalis not to allow illiterates to lead us. We should also learn to leave the presidency for one another because being hungry for power at the expense of achievement will not help us anymore, But Somalism will help us.

• prof omar hassan osman
    August 23, 2012 @ 10:01:48AM

yussuf 4 president....he really deserves to be elected........he is an expreinced man who really likes to fight corruption as well as racicm......lets us all vote 4 yussuf garaaad omar

• abdulkadir hassan warsame
    August 23, 2012 @ 09:38:25AM

You did not write the truth about Sheikh Sharif’s biography. He was sent in 1992 by the vice president; Salbalaar Hilowle Iman Omar for studies. He could not continue with his studies in Khartoum University and went to Libya later where he learnt the Green book; Libya’s ideology. Beware of that.

• Moslim Ahmed Kan
    August 23, 2012 @ 06:31:37AM

I begin in the name of God. Praise to God. May peace and blessings of God be on our Prophet Mohammad. After that, may the wrath of God be on Satan. If I talk about the contest for the presidency only God knows who will become the president of Somalia but there is no doubt that we cannot elect the person we want as Somalis because we are being dictated to. If the presidential election is based on the free votes and needs of the public there is no doubt that we will elect the holy war fighter who fought Al-Shabaab which massacred innocent people in the name of religion. That man is Hon. Farmajo. Thank you. Yours Muslim brother. (You keep in mind that you are really a Muslim if you hate what the other Muslim brothers hate).

• maxamed cali cabdule bidaaye
    August 23, 2012 @ 06:12:15AM

It is good for the scholars to contest for presidency of Somalia. I pray to God to make Somalia peaceful.

• ahmedzaki
    August 23, 2012 @ 04:54:17AM

First, I would like to salute all Sabahi online workers; peace on you. Secondly, I wish Hon. Mr. Mohammad Abdullahi Farmajo a win in his contest for the presidency. He is a scholar, a politician who is able and who loves the Somalis. I pray to God to help him win. Thirdly, I am requesting from the parliamentarians to elect Mr. Farmajo as he able.

• jeex
    August 23, 2012 @ 04:38:14AM

Somalis should stop personalizing issues and depending on foreigners for support so as not to compromise our sovereignty if they want peace.

• Yaasiin
    August 23, 2012 @ 04:21:20AM

Abdirahman Baadiyow is good to be the president. Somalis Should elect Abdirahman Baadiyow as the president of Somalia if they want good governance because he looks like a good leader as shown from the TV.  He is new, not corrupt and God fearing.

• MTABAZI SHEU
    August 23, 2012 @ 02:13:09AM

it is only up to the somalis, not the international community

• cabdisalaan
    August 23, 2012 @ 12:37:29AM

I believe Yusuf Garad deserves the presidency out of all the contenders because he is an experienced journalist.

• ADDOW
    August 22, 2012 @ 11:16:48PM

I go for Dr Samatar for the sake of peace

• mahadkaka
    August 22, 2012 @ 08:02:30PM

You all pretend to be Somalis because you don’t want peace but money and your problem is justified. We are praying to God to eliminate you so that the Somalis get peace because they encountered many problems. May God help the Somalis. Amen.

• mahad
    August 22, 2012 @ 07:28:24PM

I would love for Somalia to unite because I don’t still see any sign of government or efforts being made to form one. I am praying to God to help us elect a God fearing patriotic president who loves his people and his country. I am also praying to God to unite Somalia. Amen.

• salmaan
    August 22, 2012 @ 03:15:16PM

This is surely good. Somalia has many scholars but what made the country to be in problem for 22 years when it has such learned men. If I could be a parliamentarian I could vote for Prof Samatar even if my father could have been a candidate. I don’t come from the same tribe with him. He comes from Northern Somalia while I come from Southern Somalia but convinced by his CV. Oh, God help us elect a patriot leader who will have the interest of the people and the country at heart.

• maxamad axmed
    August 22, 2012 @ 01:04:55PM

This is a good article. I would like to advise the Somalis to elect iMohammad Abdullahi Farmajo because he is experienced.

• jamal
    August 22, 2012 @ 09:17:32AM

all educated folks should be given the chance to prove their potential academia not incompetence onces

• shamsadin suleiman abdilahi
    August 22, 2012 @ 04:29:27AM

There is no one better than Sheikh Sharif because peace and security was realized in the capital and hope for peace in other regions became high for the two terms he was the president, so Sheikh Sharif should be elected.

• al Nuuru
    August 22, 2012 @ 04:07:20AM

Abdirahman Badiyow should become the president of this country.

• yaser ali
    August 22, 2012 @ 03:39:07AM

I am 100% supporting Farmajo to be elected as he is known and his ability tested. I would like to say Farmajo is Meles of Somalia and should be supported. I am not from Somalia. I come from Hargeisa and a citizen of citizen of Somaliland. I wish Siilanyo long life. God is great. Elect your leaders and don’t become mean with your votes, so that you build your nation.

• abdi sahal
    August 22, 2012 @ 03:11:24AM

Mind you, the man who has written this article has prepared it well but whole of it is nothing because it says this about Sharif Hassan: “He was born in 1946 in Bardaale region to a family from Bay and Bakool region.” Look at this information about Sharif Hassan and what he wrote about other candidates with me. He says he was born in Bardaale. He is treating Sharif Hassan like a foreigner and denying him of his Somali origin. You, esteemed journalist I learnt media ethics and what you are writing should be logic and reflective of the media ethics you learnt. If I look at how you have written the report I can clearly understand that you are a journalist nursing a grudge. Digil and Mirifle don’t reside in Bay and Bakool but in lower Shabeele and Juba regions. You can also say Gedo regions instead of saying a region where these tribes have never settled in Somalia. Give us those six regions and add Banadir if you don’t want us to co-exist and work together. May the wrath of God be on you.

• maxamed cali
    August 22, 2012 @ 02:58:25AM

I salute the BBC. I believe any of the following three men is suitable to lead the country. 1- Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed 2- Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed Farmajo 3- Prof Ahmed Ismail Samatar.

• C/caziiz
    August 22, 2012 @ 02:15:58AM

Peace on you. I pray to the Almighty God to make the one to be elected as the president of Somalia, to be the best among the Somalis who will lead us by using the Islamic Sheriah and who will destroy the unlawful constitution that is not in the interest of the Muslim Somalis. I don’t 100% say so and so is good for us but I pray to God to choose for us one who will lead us to the straight path of Islam. May God help us choose

• Qareen C/Xakiin Cabdale X Cali (Macsaro)
    August 22, 2012 @ 01:36:26AM

Farmajo should become the president of Somalia because knows more about politics and Somalia as a country. He is a man who can unite Somalia as a whole because he was in Somali politics for a long and difficult period. He has done many tangible things and he was sanctioned when he was seen to be effective. He was stopped to continue with his effective hard work in Somalia. In my opinion, I believe Farmajo can lead Somalia better than Sheikh Sharif who has failed.

• abuuyusuf almu haajir
    August 22, 2012 @ 01:32:46AM

Farmajo is a good politician who knows about good governance and order. He knows about governance and transparency depending on what we have seen for the six months he was leading the government. We praise him for his good leadership style.

• dheeg
    August 22, 2012 @ 12:57:12AM

I am not satisfied because the secretary of Farmajo’s party is a woman. The prophet (Peace be upon him) said a community led by a woman will never succeed.

• hidaya
    August 21, 2012 @ 11:31:48PM

The social and economic challenges forming a profound challenge to the new Somali president, specially the issues of the displaced. Almost three million people living the worst social, humanitarian and economic situations, because of the civil war. Somalis depends on foreign aid especially food and medicine, which requires re-establish the infrastructure that suffers from complete destruction which adds a new burden on the elected president. If he is in need to the loyalty of Somalis people to support him in facing the warring factions, then he should begin to pursue a policy that would provide basic services, especially if we look to the financial support provided by the warring factions for Al-Shabab movement to persuade them to join them. Thus achieving real results in re-building services and economic and social institutions is a vital issue for Somalis to recognize the new government and the extent of its success.

• Hajjy
    August 21, 2012 @ 04:20:49PM

someone like shariif hassan is not qualified as a presidential candidate because of his education profile.....i guess somalia needs a man who will lead them not someone who needs to be led..

• hassan jaamac daahir
    August 21, 2012 @ 01:12:47PM

Professor samatar should be elected as the president if there is need to build a government in Somalia.

• jaalle khaatumo gaane
    August 21, 2012 @ 01:10:06PM

I support Farmajo because he is a just, patriot and an experienced leader.

• ibraahim cilmi daxir
    August 21, 2012 @ 11:13:41AM

I would like to say elect Sharif Hassan Sheikh Adan as the president of Somalia because he is an expert in Somali issues.

• FM
    August 21, 2012 @ 06:55:36AM

RIGHT

• MR FRANCIS
    August 21, 2012 @ 06:44:28AM

YIUSUB FOR PRESIDENT

• hussein
    August 21, 2012 @ 05:33:37AM

Thank you for the history you write about those contesting for the presidency of Somalia. When I read the history of contestants I have seen three people deserve it. I would like to screen these three men again. These three men are Sheikh Sharif, Farmajo and Abdiweli. When I look at the educational background, confidence and uniting people, then Farmajo carries the day. Sheikh Sharif could instill confidence in the people and in the military. Abdiweli is a good man but good in economic issues and leadership. This country needs a leader who can get it out of problems. For this reason, Abdiweli is not the most favorite for the presidency. Farmajo is a lion and built the confidence of the military and the citizens. He restored order in the country as required by the people. Beware that if a man wins the support of the military he will succeed in whatever he tries. Thank you.

• Miskiinow
    August 21, 2012 @ 05:16:44AM

I think we should not hesitate of the man to save Somalia from problems it went into in 1991. Only God can save but I think the right president for Somalia is MOHAMMAD ABDULLAHI FARMAJO who we have seen what he can do for this country before. He was a light that lit once for Somalis but was not seen again like the Union of Islamic Courts. He settled the country even though a little like the Union of Islamic Courts.

• geesay
    August 21, 2012 @ 05:08:47AM

In my opinion, I would like to tell the Somalis to elect Yusuf Garad because he is clean and learned. My brothers, I would like to urge the parliamentarians to elect someone who has not committed crime against the country and learned like Yusuf Garad. You will succeed all times, God willing. Protect us from a president who can be easily twisted and one who likes foreigners. Remember, you are also waiting to become presidents therefore protect the citizens as you will need them to elect you. That is my advice. Fear your God. Thank you all.

• Saleban Saed Ogle
    August 21, 2012 @ 05:03:38AM

Truly, when I looked at all the C.Vs and I happened to know all those people named there as contesting for the presidency, I didn’t see anyone who deserves the post. I don’t think if there is the man to help Somalia get out of problems among them. There is no one better than Sheikh Sharif if we miss someone else.

• dahircaawiye
    August 21, 2012 @ 04:26:00AM

First, I would like to pray to God to help Somalia get out of the civil war and problems that trailed for a long time. I would like to advise the Somalis to chase away this man who has committed crime against his mother land; Somaliland (Son of Ismail Samatar) BECAUSE HE IS ALREADY A FAILURE AND CANNOT HELP OTHERS. He works by inciting and creating hatred between communities.

• ABDIKADAR
    August 21, 2012 @ 04:05:56AM

THIS INFORMATION IS VERY IMPORTANT AND I LIKED IT. THANK YOU.

• Abdulahi
    August 21, 2012 @ 03:57:22AM

I truly liked it. I thank the journalist who wrote this information very much even though he has left out many candidates but he has taken the most favorite.

• Leo
    August 21, 2012 @ 03:54:47AM

This column is really interesting and it’s good

• amd
    August 21, 2012 @ 03:51:38AM

I think Mohammad Abdullah Farmajo should be elected as the president of Somalia.

• Abdullahi Issa
    August 21, 2012 @ 03:50:03AM

I see Professor Ahmed Ismail Samatar as the only man who can help Somalia get out of problems today.

• Elmi mahamoud Ysin
    August 21, 2012 @ 03:27:04AM

Peace on you. This report has concentrated on the educational background of the contestant but I think two of the contestants can do a lot of things for our country if given the leadership. The rest of the candidates have committed crimes against the people, country and the religion. These two men who I said can change something from Somalia are Professor Ahmed Ismail Samatar and Dr. Mohammed Abdullahi Farmaajo. Farmajo is the leader who the Somalis demonstrated because of him so as to stop him from resigning.

• haaji ade
    August 21, 2012 @ 03:01:56AM

SHEIKH SHARIF’S TERM OF OFFICE IS OVER.

• Abdulkadir M Ahmed
    August 21, 2012 @ 02:43:24AM

It is important information collected by a hardworking person. Why didn’t you say something about the educational background of Sharif Hassan Sheikh Adan so that people get to know if he is not learned? Thank you and Fear your God.

• maxamed cumar maxamed
    August 21, 2012 @ 02:30:14AM

I thank God who created us. Those of you who are contesting will have a difficult job to do a head. That is, you have to tell the truth about the religion of Islam which you claim to profess, do justice and equality to all. You should have confidence in your country and protect it from anything that will infringe the religion. You have to trust one another and know that you cannot be made responsible by a foreigner unless you make yourselves responsible. We need to protect the dignity of our religion; people and our country and we need to try hard to stabilize our country once again. Be aware that it is important to unite the Somalis for the sake of achieving their common interest. Somalis need to unite to bring this mess to an end. Let the Somalis focus on their own common interest which is bringing tribalism, nepotism and personal selfish interest to a halt and work towards achieving national unity and development. We should look back at what happened in our past but to work hard to bring unity among our people. It is not important for you to become a president but uniting the Somalis and rebuilding our nation is important. The country does not belong to the president but to those people who were born and protect it. Remember; a president is a servant to the people and unifying the citizen is important. Let us help one another in searching for our nation which I love to see rebuilt forever.

• PuntlandGeezer
    August 20, 2012 @ 06:14:19PM

Ahmed Ismail Samatar, farmaajo or Abdiweli Mohamed Ali to win, three of them will do a great job but both Sheikhs aka Sharif Sheikh Ahmed & Sharif Hassan Sheikh Aadan should be kicked out from somali politics for life.

• abdfatah dahir abdilahi
    August 20, 2012 @ 05:12:17PM

It is exciting for scholars to contest for the leadership of Somalia. They need to remember the politics of Somalia has ashamed warlords, army generals and religious scholars. Will the scholars be embarrassed too?

• abdirahman adde
    August 20, 2012 @ 02:15:47PM

Please complete the history of contestants you wrote. Likewise, I would like to ask why H.E Abdullah Ahmad Adow was excluded in the contest when you know he is a Somali leader. Please correct yourself. Thank you.

• maxam
    August 20, 2012 @ 01:40:18PM

I would like to say that you are a famous journalist liked by most of the people. The Somalis leaders were known for having bad futures. Do you think you will break through this? And what are your PLANS if you break through? No one will like you when you become a leader therefore I would like to urge the Somalis not to forget the rightful share of their brothers in northern Somalia. CONGRATULATION.

• SAYIDCADHO
    August 20, 2012 @ 12:35:06PM

WE ARE AL-SHABAAB SO YOU SHOULD PROTECT YOURSELVES FROM OUR ATTACKS.

• AMIIN-YARE
    August 20, 2012 @ 10:25:38AM

It is a good idea. These people are citizens regardless of other foreign citizenship they are holding and each one of them is indebted with the funds educated with while living in this country except after the beginning of the civil war. The civil war caused people to not face the problems happening in the country hence ruining our future to an extent we cannot form unity government up to now. To do away with these problems that ruined our country from 1991-2012, we are screening the aspirants today so that we can elect the right leaders to form our independent government which will be free from foreign interference to get us out of the transitional rule, cater for our education and health needs as well as creating jobs for 4500 people who are able to work but incapacitated by bad or lack of governance. These people also exposed to extreme corruption and misappropriation of funds hence need to be served, supervised and rehabilitated from these vices they  learnt as a result of lack of government and tribalism which has destructed and destroyed our country for 21 years.   I would like to tell you that the right rule is only that of God but we refused and became bootlickers of the disbelievers.   If those contesting come together and elect one of them for the sake of bringing this conflict to an end, I think we will forget tribes and regions that anyone of you identifies with. STOP THESE BRAGGING AND LOSS OF FOCUS that made us dysfunctional and accept win or defeat and work with your friends who win so that you can pay the country what it owes you, God willing.

• libaax koriye
    August 20, 2012 @ 03:55:03AM

This is good but did the humble man (Ina Buuba) give up? Didn’t I hear that he is contesting or you did not add him to the list because he is not being supported by people from his region?

• aaliya
    August 20, 2012 @ 02:51:59AM

Reading from this article, and knowing from the current government, we so far know what the government di. The head of the state Sh, sahriif shiek, did not even build a school neither built one of the mogdishu road, but build their /his own houses and hotels(in and ouside of the country)and used the assets of the nation as their/his own money, and didn’t even have positive impact on the nation, accept their/his tribes. I would well come Abdirahman Abdullahi Baadiyow ,or Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, I could be wrong, but according to this article they are the only two people who,ve been part of the construction and building schools and trying reforming the country’s development during the civil war, (Education is the best invesments)the other guys what have they done for the nation so far above being part of the government with no changes but more corruption. thanks for the opportunity

• setywillison
    August 19, 2012 @ 03:10:32AM

This column is informative as it presents a variety of world news.

• ajaihsfjhaiofcjhqaio
    August 18, 2012 @ 09:50:13AM

If the Somalis want a president who would work for the best interest of the nation and does not seek to fill his pockets with dollars, they should choose between two people: Dr. Ahmed Ismail Samatar or the journalist Yusuf Garaad Omar. As for the article, I agree with its content.

• mahad
    August 18, 2012 @ 08:30:33AM

Selection of the parliament of Somalia.

• mustafe
    August 18, 2012 @ 08:19:31AM

Truly, this report is very good because the Somalis should know of the qualifications of the person they want to elect. This will help us identify those individuals with such qualifications and pick the best out of them. Truly this report is important.

• ibrahim Mohamed Abdi
    August 18, 2012 @ 04:35:19AM

farmaajo for Somalia.

• Kaamil
    August 17, 2012 @ 10:22:12PM

Everything that causes damage and destruction must be stopped. The completion of a new constitution for Somalia marks the end of terrorism and the beginning of a new era of democracy in the country.

• Muxyadiin Muumin Caateeye
    August 17, 2012 @ 09:56:59PM

I would like to advice people to elect Prof Ahmad Ismail Samatar as he is a just scholar and a patriot who loves his country and his people, if there is need for Somalia to become stable and play a vital role in Africa and in the rest of the world.

• Diini
    August 17, 2012 @ 07:53:32PM

A new era has come in Somalia after waiting for a long time for the setting up of a new constitution to the joy of the delegates of the founding commission which has examined its work in every effort and respect and integrity for the sake of our brothers the citizens of Somalia.

• Aweys Haji
    August 17, 2012 @ 07:11:39PM

This is good article. I love Dr Baadiyow very much because he is a scholar who has not committed crimes before and is loved by the people. I believe he can spearhead the nation to development and the change we need. I pray to the Almighty God to make him the president of Somalia.